Author Topic: Chase knows engines....here's a wild idea for you crazy sand people.  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Respected member of society
  • Popularity: +12/-0
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
You know I drive a tiny little Geo Tracker with a modest 8 valve, 1.6 liter engine.  I was thinking way into the future...if I still have it and some money lying around.   How many ponies you think I can squeeze out of the fuel injected 4 banger WITHOUT putting a turbo on it.  I'm talking about tearing it down and having it bored and stroked about as far as it'll go, then putting it back together with big power goodies, like forged rods and a gnarly camshaft.   I've never rebuilt an engine by myself and I want to try it soooo bad.   ;D   Of course...none of this will take place until I've got some more vehicles...a trailer....my own sweet pad...a garage(preferably).  So...year or two?

Anyway.  How unrealistic or silly would it be to have the motor bored/stroked?   Maybe totally impossible?  I have no idea...just thinking about what to do with this thing if I ever get around to rebuilding the engine for kicks.

So you minions of the sand devil....how about it?  Bet ya I could wrangle 150 hp's easy! 

-Mooch.
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • Popularity: +250/-0
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
Re: Chase knows engines....here's a wild idea for you crazy sand people.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »
Haha, I'm not too familiar with tracker motors, but I'm sure you can squeeze some extra ponies out of her!

You pretty much just summed up an All-Motor build; high-compression pistons, forged light-weight rods, and a gnarly high lift camshaft to really start moving some air (and gas).

Your best bet would be to pickup a spare tracker motor and start building it up in, taking your time to pay attention to the details. Then when its all ready to go, swap it in with a bunch of other goodies you save up along the way (any supporting bolt-on's, new mounts, maintenance items, etc.)

150hp out of a 16valve 1.6 liter honda engine is pretty doable with high compression but a little pushing it on a single cam. Not sure how the 8valve setup will affect you, I'll look into the upgrade paths for a Tracker.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:36:05 PM by chase »
Danger Ranger: SOLD
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Crypto ICO: PADE   |   Other Forums: Z Forum | Web Design Forum

chaseHOSTING | chaseIDEAS | chaseDESIGN | chaseMOBILE

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:27:37 PM »
ooo a spare engine!  good idea!   there's a whole pile of trackers and sidekicks at the junkyard too....so that's no biggie.   and i am pretty sure there's a popular swap to put the newer 16 valve head onto the 8 valve engine.   they're the same engine, with different heads, so i don't think there's much to it.

the thing that concerns me the most, is the availability of the internals.....what would i have to buy that isn't a stock size or shape?  i know where to get a mildly aggressive camshaft, and an engine rebuild kit with new pistons for an overbore.....but to have a stroker motor, do i need longer connecting rods?  bigger crank?  i dont know if these parts exist for this motor.....

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:18:33 PM »
....I just thought of something.  Even IF it is possible to have the trackers engine bored and stroked....why spend the thousands it would cost in machine work/new internals????     

If I have to rebuild an engine and do some kind of swap anyway....why not just throw a big 6 or 8 cylinder motor in it instead?  Yeah, weight might be an issue.....but I'm sure it's more common to swap a V6 into a tracker or sidekick than it is to build a stroker.  What was I thinking?!   ::)

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:50:31 AM »
I'm all for a swap! What do you tracker guys swap into those things? Or do you know yet??
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 01:03:54 AM »
Um....in an older one like mine(1991), you can swap a 2 liter from a newer Chevy Tracker, like a 2000+.   There's some custom turbo setups floating around too.   I don't know much else. 

Could I take out all the computer and emissions stuff and put a carb'd V6 in it?

I figure once I get a nice truck, and make the Tracker a trailer queen, I won't mind cutting it up to make room for stuff, like a bigger engine and bigger tires.

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 03:09:22 PM »
Well I'm not familiar with PA law, but out here in CA, if you want to keep it smog legal, you can only swap in a motor that is the same year or newer and meets or exceeds the smog regulations for that car. So no, you couldn't go oldschool carbed v6 and pass, it'd have to be a newer year efi v6 that ran as clean, or cleaner, than the 4 banger you replaced.