Author Topic: How much of a stretch would it be.....  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Respected member of society
  • Popularity: +12/-0
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
How much of a stretch would it be.....
« on: June 16, 2009, 11:53:39 PM »
to make my faithful little tracker into a "prerunner"?  You guys are the experts on the subject.  What are the prerequisites a vehicle needs to meet to be a prerunner, or a desert basher?

Just bored and thinking about what I can do with it.  It sure would be pretty cool.  Maybe weld in a cage....try and fit some coilovers or something.   Maybe swap the weak single control arm IFS for a toyota IFS to eliminate the silly strut configuration.  There's no shortage of obstacles I'm sure....but it wouldn't exactly be cheap to buy a Ford pickup truck and then turn it into a prerunner like I've been saying I want to do.

I might be able to link the rear end of the tracker....and modify the front IFS to accept coilovers.  That would be wicked.  I can just picture it now.....

"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Offline Jon Jon

• Super Mega Rad Dude
  • DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Internet Tuff Guy
  • Popularity: +11/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jon Jon the Jonny Jon Jonster
Re: How much of a stretch would it be.....
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 05:12:16 PM »
that would be quite a project.  i hate to be a nay-sayer, but you would be better off making it a bad ass trail rig.  im not sure if that has ever been done before so the conversion would be a major pain
Right On

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • Popularity: +250/-0
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 05:56:21 PM »
Yeah, going against the grain is cool, but sometimes it just requires too much dough. But like the old saying goes, anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. The necessities of a desert basher or prerunner would be torquey and reliable power with a good gear ratio, strong and improved travel suspension, safety precautions (cage, bumpers, harnesses, etc.), extended fuel capabilities, among so many other things.

Basically imagine taking your truck offroad in the beat heat and smashing on it all day. Would you trust it to make it through it? How about drive home? LOL The desert can be pretty harsh and offroading takes quite a toll on your chassis, you need to take all of that into account. One of the key things though is having a long and wide enough wheel base. With the crawlers, you usually have a super short and narrow wheelbase for crawling through those tiny parts, kinda the opposite of what's needed for going fast and just "handling" the terrain you drive over.
Danger Ranger: SOLD
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Crypto ICO: PADE   |   Other Forums: Z Forum | Web Design Forum

chaseHOSTING | chaseIDEAS | chaseDESIGN | chaseMOBILE

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 06:04:33 PM »
Taking into account what you guys are saying...and sitting here thinking about it, this is what will probably happen.   I'll always wish I had a sweet trophy truck.  They're so badass.    But I'll only be able to modify the Tracker as long as I have money to throw at it....and modify it in ways that make sense for the terrain I'm in. 

You know...maybe I can just make it look like a prerunner, and pretend it is one.  =P  I can probably do the long coils/shocks, and flare the front fenders...maybe put a stinger on the front, and a big tire carrier in the back with a huge floppy antenna. 

It will probably fall somewhere short of being worthy of the name "prerunner", but at least be a capable offroad rig.

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:25:05 PM »
Haha, that'd be badass! I wouldn't worry too much about the looks of it. Just make sure it's capable =D
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Offline Mr. Goodbody

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • l33t
  • Popularity: +4/-0
  • Tryin' To Catch Me Ridin' Dirty
    • View Profile
    • Goodbody Gear
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 10:48:53 AM »
im sure i could dream something up but a desert truck.. why not crawl that thing?

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 04:28:53 PM »
im sure i could dream something up but a desert truck.. why not crawl that thing?

Because I hate rocks.  =)

I want to set it up for being able to tackle harsh terrain with some speed.

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 12:46:31 AM »
You know....every time I daydream about building an offroad buggy, I remember I already have one.  It's the same idea I keep coming back to...no matter what I'm currently dreaming up.  Whether it's a trophy kart....a prerunner...a tube chassis truggy....I always end up at the same single thought....and here it is.

Buy a nice pickup truck and trailer.....and use the tracker as a dedicated, all purpose trail bashing machine. 

Every time I say, "I really want a quad."  or..."Man, I wish I had a dune buggy.", I always come up with that proposal for myself.  And I think it's a mighty good one.  I just wanted to share that with you guys, and maybe get some feedback.

I keep coming to you fellas with crazy ideas and asking how to build a prerunner.  All I really need is a newer daily driver.  Something I can hook the tracker up to. 

Can you really blame me for daydreaming?  Hope is what propels us.  I hope someday all this comes to fruition.   

-Mooch.

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 01:20:34 AM »
Dude, dream BIG, or don't bother waking up!!

One thing about me, and I'll readily admit it; I'm never satisfied. I'm always working or progressing towards something, and I think everyone else should too.

Stick with it Mooch, one of these days you'll make it happen!!

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 01:36:38 AM »
Oh totally.  Dream big indeed.  I'm just saying I need to be a bit more practical for starters.  I can't go on bashing my daily driver or I won't have anything to drive at all.  So what I need to stick to is the plan on buying a nice big truck next.  I have to keep away from the shiny Supra's and Ford I-beam rangers.  I should buy a V8 Dodge or something.  I was thinking about a flatbed pickup that I can just park the tracker on....but for something capable of that, it wouldn't be practical as a daily driver.  So...you know....Ram 2500 or F-250....or perhaps a nice old 5.7 liter chevy W/T.

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 02:12:57 AM »
Oh totally.  Dream big indeed.  I'm just saying I need to be a bit more practical for starters.  I can't go on bashing my daily driver or I won't have anything to drive at all.  So what I need to stick to is the plan on buying a nice big truck next.  I have to keep away from the shiny Supra's and Ford I-beam rangers.  I should buy a V8 Dodge or something.  I was thinking about a flatbed pickup that I can just park the tracker on....but for something capable of that, it wouldn't be practical as a daily driver.  So...you know....Ram 2500 or F-250....or perhaps a nice old 5.7 liter chevy W/T.

Yeah, definitely not recommending you live frivolously, everyone needs to take care of their responsibilities and day-to-day stuff first and foremost. It sounds like a "prerunner" won't be a viable thing for you anytime soon unless your zip code changes, so by all means make a plan to get your crawler to the point you want it!

If you plan on building the Tracker into a beast, and taking it through some intense stuff where it may you leave you stranded the next day..

Weeeelllllllll..... here's an idea.......

Why not get another truck as your tow vehicle and turn that into a mild prerunner??? (ie, slight cali lift with some bead-look wheels, tint, and fiberglass/pulled bedsides, bolt ons engine mods). That way you get your cake and eat it too!

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 02:17:54 AM »

Why not get another truck as your tow vehicle and turn that into a mild prerunner??? (ie, slight cali lift with some bead-look wheels, tint, and fiberglass/pulled bedsides, bolt ons engine mods). That way you get your cake and eat it too!

So what you're saying is....tow my rock crawler with my prerunner?  That's BRILLIANT!  Haha, what an awesome idea!  Man, I wish my life would end up that way.  That's perfect!

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 02:22:31 AM »

So what you're saying is....tow my rock crawler with my prerunner?  That's BRILLIANT!  Haha, what an awesome idea!  Man, I wish my life would end up that way.  That's perfect!

EXACTLY, get on that!!!  lol

The cool part is, your Tracker isn't very heavy. You'd probably get away towing that thing with pretty much any popular prerunner platform with a v6+

I hope that works out for you, that'd be really cool. You could have the best of both worlds!

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 02:29:15 AM »
Hah, so true.  It's a fawking lightweight.  Weighs in at a hair over 1 ton I believe.  I could def tow the tracker with a 3.0 liter Ranger.  mmmm...I'm daydreaming again, hah.  Now I need to buy a sweet 2wd Ranger.

As it turns out...unless he sold it...I know where I can get the best deal on earth on a 2wd Ranger.  I'm just incredibly lacking in funds right now....so I can't buy it anyway.  =/     I would be paying 2500 now(but I can't), for a truck in similar condition I'll have to pay around 4 grand for when I finally do have some money.  Shame....