Author Topic: New to prerunners....this the right direction?  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Respected member of society
  • Popularity: +12/-0
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
New to prerunners....this the right direction?
« on: June 01, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »
Ok, so...   Don't have the money yet....but I'm getting impatient...and I am putting together some ideas so I know what to look forward to.  Probably gonna have a truck by 2K10, and just build as I go.

Going to buy a Ford.  I was pretty picky when first thinking about it....but I will leave some options open.  Like....F150, Ranger, Bronco....anything with the Twin I beam suspension.  Maybe something like this for starters...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=227273257&dealer_id=52247680&car_year=1996&rdm=1243694045135&num_records=25&model=F150PICKUP&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1995&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=75&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=FORD&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&position=top&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=yearASC&address=17901&advanced=&end_year=1998&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=36&standard=false

I found a couple places to buy some parts.   This kit looks like a decent basic kit.

http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/20-3003.html

And for some fiberglass, I found this website.  Pretty cheap for fenders at $300 a pair.

http://www.fiberwerx.com/html/ford/f150/fenders.html

Am I on the right track or no?    Can anyone vouch for any of these products?  Any other sites or companies I should check out?  Got any recommendations on a vehicle to start with?  I found a nice example of what I want to end up with...only way more mild.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-F-150-Custom-Prerunner_W0QQitemZ300319257002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item45ec6c31aa&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Any help or advice would be totally awesome! Get me headed the right direction!

-Mooch.
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • Popularity: +250/-0
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
Re: New to prerunners....this the right direction?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 07:41:43 PM »
An early style ranger is probably your cheapest option but an F150 is always nice for the wider and longer wheelbase. You seem to know what you want, it's just a matter of shopping around. The lift kit you linked to looks a bit on the cheesy side (just a bit cheap on the quality), you could probably find a used front-end for about the same price that would out-perform that front-end greatly. The ideal solution for big travel numbers on any early style Ford is I-beams + coilovers.
Danger Ranger: SOLD
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Crypto ICO: PADE   |   Other Forums: Z Forum | Web Design Forum

chaseHOSTING | chaseIDEAS | chaseDESIGN | chaseMOBILE

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:29:52 PM »
Thanks Chase.  I know the old rangers are like a dime a dozen....but they're mostly plagued by that miserable 2.9 liter engine.....they're older than my already old/beat up daily driver....I think they're ugly.   =)     Just a few reasons why I want a nice, newer style F150 while still using I beams.  I think I can even try and find a 1997, and that's the newer body style.  But it will be hard to find a nice 2wd version with a short bed....if they even made those with a short bed...?

As for lift kits...I noticed that was a tad cheap.  And I don't want a kit that comes with shocks.  I know I'll need to buy some $$$ coilovers $$$.  =/     

I'll look around and see what I can find.  There's literally zero desert racing fanbase here.  So no trophy trucks or prerunners already built and for sale....no parts for sale.  I'm either going to have to drive halfway across the country to pick up a used suspension setup, or buy directly from a manufacturer and have it shipped.  I saw a couple a while ago that made equal length beams, but I forget who it was.   

Also....must it have a multi linked rear end, or can I keep/upgrade the leaf spring setup in the rear?  I heard of a company called Deaver( i think?) that makes leaf packs.  Could be wrong.

I really like your ranger.  It looks sweeet!   I would love a truck like that!  Or the Taco you have/had for sale.  I think I would get bored with the underpowered motor though.  Who knows....

-Mooch.

Offline Jon Jon

• Super Mega Rad Dude
  • DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Internet Tuff Guy
  • Popularity: +11/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jon Jon the Jonny Jon Jonster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
Giant Motorsports has a bad ass leaf pack kit for rangers and F series pickups.  You can also find equal length beams at Giant, Camburg, and H&M Motorsports.  GZoogle any of those and they'll come up.  You can even make a pretty good kit out of an F150 without going equal length with the use of some shock hoops
Right On

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 06:14:22 PM »
Ahh yes...Giant Motorsports. I remember checking that site out. 

Now what did you mean by this?

"You can even make a pretty good kit out of an F150 without going equal length with the use of some shock hoops."

How bad will it be offset to one side if I use the stock I-beams with like 4-5 inches of lift and lots of wheel travel?    Most of the kits that include new I-beams are pretty pricey.  How much lift and wheel travel can I get with the stock I-beams?

Also, how much flex will the rear have with Deaver or Giant leaf springs?

It would kick ass if I could build a truck that's super flexy and soft at any speed.  Is that completely impossible?

Offline Jon Jon

• Super Mega Rad Dude
  • DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Internet Tuff Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:48:08 PM »
keep in mind, with soft suspension you will get a lot of body roll at speed.  you will get plenty of flex out of the deaver kit.
the beams on F150s come offset stock.  either way, with a lift, you will have to buy new beams.  you will save a lot of money and hassle if you just get replacement beams rather than equal length.  with equal length, you will have to completely reconfigure your whole front end, whereas with the stock offset but extended I-beams you can use the stock mounts.
Right On

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 12:09:10 AM »
I like body roll.  =)    The roads around here suck bawls anyway....so I want a squishy ride for both on and off the pavement.  Thanks for clearing up the beam length thing for me....I didn't understand what it meant to have equal length...just thought that's what I needed.   For my "mild" streetable build though, I might keep the stock hardware, and buy a kit that comes with brackets to relocate the beams and radius arms.  Would be cheaper that way, and I could get a taste of how it rides....and if I like it, I could always upgrade later.   I like Dick Cepek's Series 1 and 2 kits.  The cheapest I found so far, and claims to be beefy.

The other places you mentioned offer some serious stuff for like 2 to 3 thousand dollars!  =O  A tad overkill for my application I think.  Not gonna be airing it out over any dunes.  Just dealing with some shallow holes and whoops mostly...and lots of rocks.

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 02:11:28 PM »
Well it sounds like you have a good handle on what you want for the build. Above all, and from experience, I'd say listen to what you want, don't let someone else build your truck for you. If you're doing your homework, which it sounds like you are, you'll have the right stuff picked out. That way, when you get done with the build, you don't look at it and go "daaaaaaamnit, i wish i would've done it like this..." lol.. not that it matters, you'll probably end up doing that anyways.

Btw, no airing it out over dunes? Sounds like you'll be in need of a road-trip?? :P
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 02:27:19 PM »
Haha yeah...road trip.  I don't know about that.  I'm already planning a wheeling event with the Tracker just over a hundred miles away, and it feels like I am preparing to go across the country.

Anyway, yeah...I did some homework.  But you can never know "too much", so I came here to see what I was missing.

This is a great place to get good info, as well as some much needed inspiration.  So how's your Ranger doing lately anyway?  I read a lot of threads about it....and to be honest, I don't even know what color it is...first it was supposed to be white....then you painted it smurf blue?  You need to go thrash some sand and get some new pics. 

-Mooch

Offline Jon Jon

• Super Mega Rad Dude
  • DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Internet Tuff Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 04:41:37 PM »
LOL feelin smurfy hit the dirt happened once and i got to be part of it.  i think it was still white though.  last i saw her she still needed some work.  has anything changed on that mamma jamma?
Right On

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 05:00:54 PM »
Haha, that was a ton of fun

There's been a little progress, but nothing substantial :(

I have an interview at a large company soon, if I get the job I should be bankin pretty nice with that salary and my company earnings combined. If that happens, I probably won't be selling it right away. Instead, I'll probably end up linking it like the original plan, doing the 1pc clip, and finishing the interior. But those are big dreams for a broke sucka. lol, we'll see next week!

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 05:17:22 PM »
Cool!  Good luck!

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 05:20:08 PM »
Thanks! I'll keep you guys posted