Author Topic: Anyone here race?  (Read 5313 times)

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • Popularity: +250/-0
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
Re: Anyone here race?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 02:31:01 AM »
Lol, yeah I know what you mean, I have never been, and never will be, a big fan of FWD.       RWD > FWD

I've definitely grown to love my Civ over the years though, lol. And believe me, I've oversteered and spun out in my Civic almost as many times as I have a rwd car, lol! It's almost perfectly balanced with the way I've got it setup, and has as close to zero understeer as you can get with a fwd setup. As I've been told too many times to count, she is DEFINITELY a sleeper. This car is in many ways, function over form. I have almost no aeshetic mods beside subtle deletions here and there, and almost everything is setup for speed and handling. The engine is all solid mounted, including solid torque mounts and traction bars so I have NO torque steer or wheel hop unlike almost every other civic I've been in.

I never thought I'd own a Civic, lol.. I got this car free in a trade with one of my friends. It came to me literally in boxes (he tore the ENTIRE car apart to do an "engine swap", including dash, all interior and body panels, etc.). Under my watch, over the last 40k miles I've owned it.... she's been through about six motors and 3 transmissions, with the sleeved d16z6 going back in for a second time soon, with a ported y8 head, a big turbo, and 1000cc injectors (with a 600hp+ power goal!) as soon as I can sell off some of my other crap.

I grew up on hot rods, driving around in corvettes with my dad, or whatever else we had at the time.. and then high horsepower imports when I turned 16. I bought a 92 twin-turbo 300ZX and started modding that. After I sold that to invest some $$ into my company, I downgraded to the civic and BOY WAS THAT FUCKER SLOW IN COMPARISON!!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:45:05 AM by chase »
Danger Ranger: SOLD
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Crypto ICO: PADE   |   Other Forums: Z Forum | Web Design Forum

chaseHOSTING | chaseIDEAS | chaseDESIGN | chaseMOBILE

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 02:37:38 AM »
First car....

Here's a website I made for it back in 2003, hahha DANG!! six years ago!!
http://cha2e.com/z/

Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Respected member of society
  • Popularity: +12/-0
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 02:47:14 AM »
Wow!  Sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to cars.  Definitely more than I do.  Sadly...I didn't grow up around car people....so I'm getting a REALLY late start.  Also...good job on the civic.  600 hp!?  DAMN!  And oversteering a FWD car is always a good time.  I'm guessing it happens when you lift.  I can't imagine an fwd oversteering because you gave it a boot full of throttle.  =)  

I always drove big old rwd cars that were completely stock...and weighed like 29379745 pounds.  So to get them to go sideways, I would have to use the body roll to get em to break traction.  I never owned a rwd that had a ton of HP for very long.   I used to get sideways in an 88 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser.  =)
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 02:48:10 AM »
Whaaaa?!   How's it fair you got a 300zx for your first car??  ....

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 02:54:56 AM »
Wow!  Sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to cars.  Definitely more than I do.  Sadly...I didn't grow up around car people....so I'm getting a REALLY late start.  Also...good job on the civic.  600 hp!?  DAMN!  And oversteering a FWD car is always a good time.  I'm guessing it happens when you lift.  I can't imagine an fwd oversteering because you gave it a boot full of throttle.  =)  

I always drove big old rwd cars that were completely stock...and weighed like 29379745 pounds.  So to get them to go sideways, I would have to use the body roll to get em to break traction.  I never owned a rwd that had a ton of HP for very long.   I used to get sideways in an 88 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser.  =)

Haha, thanks man! Yeah I've been around cars and car industry for a large portion of my life. My dad has been a mechanic since he was 12, he was literally running his first shop by 16! Pops was a mechanical engineer for about 20 years at a large yacht and pilot-boat company, and nowadays he owns and runs a full-service automotive shop. He's not rich but he's one of the hardest working people I've ever met. Bar none.

I'm down there pretty frequently working on my own stuff (and sometimes friends' rides). I was actually just down there changing the oil in the IS300 and working on the shop's network. I just recently updated all of the computer systems, the way we handle all of our backups, the accounting system, and a bunch of other crap so I was down there finishing up a few things.. I was just looking at the sleeved single cam motor (d16) i want to put back into the civic!! It looks so lonely out back in the storage :(
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:58:43 AM by chase »

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 02:57:24 AM »
Whaaaa?!   How's it fair you got a 300zx for your first car??  ....

Lol, I got a job when I was 14 and worked my ass off!! I saved $5,000 flipping burgers for a year and a half, then I got $1,000 for graduating early at 16 (yeah buddy! lol). Then our studio burnt down with a bunch of my crap stored in it, and I got an insurance check for $1,500!  Found that beauty for $7,200 from an iranian guy who just dumped a ton of money into maintaining the motor and replacing the turbos. She purrrrrred :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:59:06 AM by chase »

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 02:58:08 AM »
An engine in storage is always a lonely engine.  Give it a home!

Congrats on growing up around cars.  You're very lucky to be so fortunate.  

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 03:03:41 AM »

Lol, sadly.. I have many lonely engines! I need to do something about that

My Slicktop Z project has a TT motor being built for it (and currently being the guinea pig for an entirely new fuel system upgrade for 90-96 300ZX's), I have 2 civic motors sitting at my parents house in the lower yard, way too many extra heads and manifolds, and another 2 civic motors sitting at the shop. Oh and also a Tacoma engine sitting in my studio.

If anyone has cash and wants a 2005 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4Cylinder engine with 40,000 miles on it (whole swap, engine harness, gauge cluster, etc.), that's one lonely engine I have no plans for!

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 03:04:01 AM »

And thanks!! I know I'm very blessed to be in the position I'm in. My dad is a super great guy and because of his hard work, I've had the benefit of many excellent learning experiences over the years. I've never paid a mechanic to work on any of my 10+ cars and I've learned so much from him, I don't think I've ever stumped him with a car question, lol
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:05:51 AM by chase »

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 03:06:44 AM »
Here's a picture of the new slicktop twin turbo Z project I've been working on over the past few years. She's lonely right now too, sitting over in the corner of my lot :(

She's about to get all the body work done while I wait to stack more $$$   I have a whole room full of parts waiting to go on her  ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:10:19 AM by chase »

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 03:18:52 AM »
Wow...you sure have a lot of lonely engines.  Damn! that's gonna be a sick 300zx when you're finished!  Get on that body work and get some pics up here!

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 03:30:37 AM »
Thanks, yeah I need to start tearing her down! I'll post some pics and a link to the build thread when I have some progress to show.

here's the build link in the meantime: http://zdriver.net/forums/index.php/topic,31.0.html

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 03:44:47 AM »
Haha...nice one post build.  =P

Also noticed something....you own yet ANOTHER forum.  How many websites do you run!?  That your day job then or?

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 03:48:14 AM »
Yeah that's my job. Building, running, growing, and hosting websites is my gig!    And yeah, lol, I just started that build thread a week ago, cut me some slack! haha

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »
I have way too many websites, lol