Author Topic: Anyone here race?  (Read 5079 times)

Offline PreRunnit

• VIP
  • Flat Biller
  • Popularity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Anyone here race?
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:38:53 PM »
If so, what do you race?

Offline CAD-Tech

• n00b
  • Popularity: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here race?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »
yep, 1492, sportsman prerunner, MDR Plaster City. 

Also if anyone is interested contact me we are building the short coarse for MDR in santa ysabel.  Could use some help and ideas.  619-955-3766

Offline stealth51

• n00b
  • Popularity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »
Yea, the super seinor class in d-38. A lotta fun trying to keep up with those kids. The all american 110 is this weekend, hope to see you out there.  ;D
Five, Five dollar, Five dollar foot long!!!

Offline Jon Jon

• Super Mega Rad Dude
  • DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Internet Tuff Guy
  • Popularity: +11/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jon Jon the Jonny Jon Jonster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:12:18 PM »
yep, 1492, sportsman prerunner, MDR Plaster City. 

Also if anyone is interested contact me we are building the short coarse for MDR in santa ysabel.  Could use some help and ideas.  619-955-3766

I could help you out.  I used to work for CORR.  I was the director of operations assistant.
Right On

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Respected member of society
  • Popularity: +12/-0
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 01:05:21 AM »
I sometimes race my friends to the bottom of their mug of lager....I don't always win....but I will beat you to the race to the floor afterwards.  =)
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Offline Jon Jon

• Super Mega Rad Dude
  • DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Internet Tuff Guy
  • Popularity: +11/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jon Jon the Jonny Jon Jonster
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 05:55:47 PM »
I really want to find a team to jump on.  I love racing and I miss it terribly
Right On

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:05:33 AM »
I've never raced professionally...but I have this thing in my head where I believe I'm an incredible driver...and I always had a dream of racing some day.  Money has always been the thing that holds me back.  And when I say money, I mean the lack of it.  =/

I wish there were recruiters on race teams, and events where random people could go "show off" their skills with their own or rented vehicles.   I thought about joining the SCCA a few times and doing Autocross events....maybe some day.

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • Popularity: +250/-0
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 01:26:40 AM »
I've never raced professionally...but I have this thing in my head where I believe I'm an incredible driver...and I always had a dream of racing some day.  Money has always been the thing that holds me back.  And when I say money, I mean the lack of it.  =/

I wish there were recruiters on race teams, and events where random people could go "show off" their skills with their own or rented vehicles.   I thought about joining the SCCA a few times and doing Autocross events....maybe some day.

You just described me in a nutshell. LOL

I wish I could race, I've played around in a few autocrosses for fun, modified all of my cars FOR racing (literally, not just intake/exhaust/breather mods, i have the "mod bug"). I've never actually raced competitively, but its always been a dream of mine.

One of these days, money permitting, I'd like to start racing for real. Maybe just lightning sprints or dwarf cars at first (never got do the whole cart thing as a kid like some people around here *cough* zach *cough* lucky!) but, would love to get into actual road racing, or off-road racing, or anything really. It's just the whole experience really, damn I wish I had the money..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:29:03 AM by chase »
Danger Ranger: SOLD
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Crypto ICO: PADE   |   Other Forums: Z Forum | Web Design Forum

chaseHOSTING | chaseIDEAS | chaseDESIGN | chaseMOBILE

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 01:47:48 AM »
Haha...excellent!  Well good luck to you in your racing career!

When you autocrossed....was it SCCA Solo events?  How much do you think it cost you to register and buy safety equipment and stuff?  And did you run your daily drivers?  Did you drive right on the edge?  Ever break anything?

I like to think I can get into it and do that like on the weekends or something with a random car....but I imagine there's more to it than that.   I once literally ALMOST bought a Dodge Omni GLHS that was already race prepared and 100% street legal.  Even test drove it.  It was a BEAST.  Had some issues and I ended up not getting it.  Woulda been my DD, and it wasn't a nice ride. 

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:02:39 AM »
Haha...excellent!  Well good luck to you in your racing career!

Right back you! Hope we are behind the wheel sooner than we both think!

When you autocrossed....was it SCCA Solo events?  How much do you think it cost you to register and buy safety equipment and stuff?  And did you run your daily drivers?  Did you drive right on the edge?  Ever break anything?

I drove my race-prepped Civic which, yes, was my daily driver at the time. HOWEVER, I'd highly recommend starting out in a stock or nearly stock car. Having the dozens of mods I did, it should've bumped me into a higher class. I talked with the inspector about it and he agreed to put me in HS to let me get a feel for things, it was all for fun anways.

That's pretty much why I was only racing it for the fun and experience, there was NO WAY I was actually going to be competitive with the engine setup I had in combination with my full-blown suspension (I should've been in an SM class). I still had a stock non-vtec d16 with supporting mods at the time (no all-motor gsr), however I had a fully adjustable and built up suspension with sways, coilovers, 11" wilwood brake kit with rear disk conversion, braces, relocated battery with battery tray, the full shebang. Basically, my car handled the course amazingly, but I was majorly lacking in power, and nowhere CLOSE to as fast as the real racers.

I like to think I can get into it and do that like on the weekends or something with a random car....but I imagine there's more to it than that.   I once literally ALMOST bought a Dodge Omni GLHS that was already race prepared and 100% street legal.  Even test drove it.  It was a BEAST.  Had some issues and I ended up not getting it.  Woulda been my DD, and it wasn't a nice ride. 

Autocrossing would be your best bet, it's a ton of fun man. Like I've recommended before, look around for someone else's project, it's the best way to get up to speed on a budget. Look around on craigslist, check the local autocrossing forums, or starting hanging out down at your local race spots and get to know some of racers and let them know you're interested in getting involved. You KNOW one of them has a buddy that can't afford to race anymore, or they have a spare race car in their garage. Especially with this economy, there are a ton of race deals out there! I've seen people selling off whole TEAMS for super crazy deals lately, don't be afraid to look around and play hardball.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:04:39 AM by chase »
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 02:11:13 AM »
That sounds fantastic!  Cool car BTW.  Too bad you were underpowered though.  I'd love to jump on a sweet deal on a used car, however I'm just as crippled as anyone else in this financial slump we're in.  I'll keep that in mind though, and look for a car someone's already raced, when I'm ready to buy something. 

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 02:14:43 AM »
That sounds fantastic!  Cool car BTW.  Too bad you were underpowered though.  I'd love to jump on a sweet deal on a used car, however I'm just as crippled as anyone else in this financial slump we're in.  I'll keep that in mind though, and look for a car someone's already raced, when I'm ready to buy something. 

Thanks, yeah it's a really fun car, Zach and Jon Jon both know firsthand. It was a lot slower back then, but the autocrossing was still a ton of fun! I'll post some pics up tomorrow when I grab them from my other computer.

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 02:17:17 AM »
Here are some shots of it in the meantime, I have a few from my first autocross I'll post when I find them

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 02:18:40 AM »
Those first two shots were pretty much the exact setup I was running the first couple times I autocrossed. But in that shot, the engine is a low compression d16z6 built for lots of BOOST

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 02:24:23 AM »
sweet car!  looks like it'd be quick around a corner.  I don't like fwd cars though....so I'd have to buy an Rx7 or a 280z.   I REALLY don't like understeer and torquesteer.  yuck.  But I CAN appreciate a nice car, regardless of drivetrain....just wouldn't buy a civic.  =)

You still have that thing or what?