Author Topic: 2nd try at sonoma don't know if its worth the headache  (Read 8768 times)

Offline prerunnerguy

• n00b
  • Popularity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
2nd try at sonoma don't know if its worth the headache
« on: August 11, 2010, 01:00:23 AM »
So here is my story...The truck I'm looking at building is my fiances daily driver its a 02 Sonoma xtracab 4.3/auto. I used to have an 01 w/ the 6" Fabtech lift that doesn't exist anymore and had nothing but headaches with that thing. Everytime I took it offroading I would loose shims and my alignment was way off afterwards and even almost riped my a-arm off the frame one time.  I did prerunning/mudding and alittle jumping with it. What really frustrated me was my buddy had a tacoma and he did the same exact thing and he never once had a problem.
This is where I'm at trying to figure out if its worth the money to fix this thing up or get myself a ranger or tacoma? Whats working for you guys and how hard are you driving your trucks? Obviously I have to keep this thing street drivable for now as its a daily driver but I want something that is gonna hold up if I let it loose somewhere.

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Respected member of society
  • Popularity: +12/-0
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd try at sonoma don't know if its worth the headache
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:42:12 PM »
I'd look for something with A-arms that already has coils/shocks.  I don't like torsion bar suspension.  I have a 95 F-150.  It has twin I-beams.  Real easy to modify. 
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Offline Jon Jon

• Super Mega Rad Dude
  • DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Internet Tuff Guy
  • Popularity: +11/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jon Jon the Jonny Jon Jonster
Re: 2nd try at sonoma don't know if its worth the headache
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 04:58:30 PM »
on a budget, I-beam is definitely the way to go
Right On