Author Topic: ULTIMATE DUNER  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Jeffs91S10

• n00b
  • Popularity: +0/-0
  • 4.3 Off-Road Rastro Van?
    • View Profile
ULTIMATE DUNER
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »
The topic is always what my buddies called my dime when I started taking it to the dunes. Anyways, I'm starting on my build again after I learned so much in the last year. I have pics

This is what it used to look like (BELOW)

I cut off the back half because it was kinda retarded and old school looking. I am sure it would have been safe but fuggly. I just aquired an industrial type welder and it is a beauty!                               
Life is too short not to offroad
I fabricate bumpers and bedcages for prerunners CP #(760)701-0335

Offline PreRunnit

• VIP
  • Flat Biller
    • View Profile
Re: ULTIMATE DUNER
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 05:46:02 PM »
New one looks waaaay better

Offline Jeffs91S10

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:46:51 AM »
New one looks waaaay better

I cut out the stock crossmembers in the back and when done all that will be stock is the frame rails. I have 62inch springs for the back with resi Fox Shox for it. It is a three seater. I have 10inch Fox coilovers for the front I will be getting soon to start on the front and a 350 TBI small block out of a 91 c1500 that I will hop up with a 750cfm carb, cam, and custom headers soon. The rearend will also have a 10 bolt out of the same truck. I also have T400 for it. Low, wide and mean fast, should be fun! Not a race truck tho, just a toy I'm building.

Offline Jeffs91S10

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:08:26 AM »
Got some new pics. I am installing the C1500 springs and C1500 axle and have boxed around the axle where it meets the springs. I have 12 inch Fox resis' for the back and am thinkin I want them outboard of the frame. Tossin it around since these are short shocks. Layin them down would work but it is hard to think they won't over extend during articulation.

This won't be raced, only a toy for the sand and reliability is key so I am gonna make it simple to work on but will be full on custom and fabricated at my shop. This is my 1st real build as it was only modified before.

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • Popularity: +250/-0
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 06:43:06 PM »
Lookin good dude! Should definitely give her a bit more travel, and build is lookin clean   :]
Danger Ranger: SOLD
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Crypto ICO: PADE   |   Other Forums: Z Forum | Web Design Forum

chaseHOSTING | chaseIDEAS | chaseDESIGN | chaseMOBILE

Offline Jeffs91S10

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »
Lookin good dude! Should definitely give her a bit more travel, and build is lookin clean   :]

Hey thanx Chase. What thread would have your build brutha...........would like to check it out!

Is that your Ranger? NICE!!!!!!!!

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Respected member of society
  • Popularity: +12/-0
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 09:43:57 PM »
Nice sig.   Do you sell information?  Or would you mind giving a noob some advice or suggestions.  I'm planning on eventually building tubular bumpers for my f-150....that is, when the tube bender gets moved up to the garage.  I'm not worried about the bending.  That will be easy.  I'm having a hard time working out where/how to weld or bolt it all to the truck's frame rails.  Mine's a 95, and has that silly wavy shit going on.  Do I just cut it back to where it's flat or?  Got any measurements or angles you'd care to throw my way? 

Also...I'm digging that Astro van.  Epic!

-Mooch.
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Offline Jeffs91S10

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »
If you can bend tube tube your 1/2 there already! Take the front bumper off and anything attached to it so all you see is frame. Then you need to fabricate horns( that is what will hold your bumper to the frame and cross tubes). This also stiffens the frame rails. Try to make your welds nice, peeps notice them 1st! This means cut tubes close to be able to lay down some bitchen welds. Take your time, design something current. I always angle the frame horns and weld them on.

Where are you from? I am in So Cal in the high dezert ( Pinon Hills-Victorville area to be exact). I build those things for people in my shop and I can P/M my # to ya. If you like , I will post some close-ups of my Rastro Vans front bump where it meets the frame.

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 08:38:20 PM »
pics would be epic!  I live waaayyy over on the east coast, in PA.  Here in coal country...our deserts are black.  =P

It will be a loooong build, as I'm very ambitious, and also pretty broke.  =/    But I want to have a pretty decent desert-style F-150 with a turbo'd 4.9L and a 4 link rear.  Probably be a couple years......hah.

But yeah....I wanna bend stuff!!!   Going to get my feet wet building bumpers...then if that isn't a total fail, I'll make my own cage/suspension.  Why not, right?   It will be cheaper to buy a truckload of DOM than it would to have someone else fabricate something for me.  =)

Offline Jeffs91S10

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »
pics would be epic!  I live waaayyy over on the east coast, in PA.  Here in coal country...our deserts are black.  =P

It will be a loooong build, as I'm very ambitious, and also pretty broke.  =/    But I want to have a pretty decent desert-style F-150 with a turbo'd 4.9L and a 4 link rear.  Probably be a couple years......hah.

But yeah....I wanna bend stuff!!!   Going to get my feet wet building bumpers...then if that isn't a total fail, I'll make my own cage/suspension.  Why not, right?   It will be cheaper to buy a truckload of DOM than it would to have someone else fabricate something for me.  =)

I started a long time ago just building pre-runner front bars on a few of my pickups. It is a great place to start. So you want to turbo a strait six huh? If it is feasible, by all meens, go for it!........ But....... a V8, even a small one, would be a better motor as those sixers don't really rev, but they are very torquey.

In my area, V8's are very reasonable. But I am a GM guy. 5.3'S are my favorite bang for the buck motor. They have alluminum heads, rev to the moon, and most importantly, very reliable HP. My wifes 4.8 in her Tahoe has 300,000 on it and it don't leak-use oil, delivers exceptional fuel economy and it can tow a 25ft boat to the Colorado River with the A/C on. I'm pretty sold on these motors

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 11:56:18 PM »
Ahh...a GM guy.   Yeah, I agree.  A V8 engine would be way better in pretty much every way, than my I-6.   I can get a 460ci V8 too....but the auto trans to go with it would be harder to obtain.   That's still an option when the time comes....however that 460 isn't a very revvy motor either.  No hp...but enough torque to pull the moon from it's axis.

Offline Jeffs91S10

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 07:52:42 AM »
Ahh...a GM guy.   Yeah, I agree.  A V8 engine would be way better in pretty much every way, than my I-6.   I can get a 460ci V8 too....but the auto trans to go with it would be harder to obtain.   That's still an option when the time comes....however that 460 isn't a very revvy motor either.  No hp...but enough torque to pull the moon from it's axis.

I realize that your 460 makes some serious torque, I have one in my coach! I have friends that run big block Fords in their duners (yes,duners!!!!!!!) but they are very thirsty(and heavy) animals and I feel a little heavy for offroad applications. If you go with a small block (be patient, find one) I think you would be happier with the outcome. They are quite capable of some serious HP too, easy to get racing parts for and are alot more frequent choice at tracks. Plus, they're just more economical to operate. A big block chassis would have to overcome all that extra weight for not a whole lot of extra gain, in my opinion. I would put a turbo'd I-6 (if you or a friend have turbo experience) in there before the 460 in an offroad platform.

Check out some auto salvage yards around your area, some of my best ideas have come from these places. I found a turbo 400 trans with a guarantee to work for $400 bucks for mine. I also picked up my motor and rearend out of a c1500 for really cheap and the fun part is making parts and fabricating it anyways.......... win-win!

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 03:57:03 PM »
Some good info to take into consideration.  Thanks guy!     I visit a local scrap yard pretty frequently.  I'm sure I can get a small block motor and trans for a few hundo.   But I like the idea of the turbo'd I-6.   It would be pretty cool.  Still pretty far away...so we'll see.  I want to do some suspension/gearing stuff first.

Nice fab work too!  Keep it up!

Hey...I'm dying to know everything there is to know about the trailing arm setup on the short course trucks.   Are they all 4-linked?   Panhard?  I have SO much to learn....and since there are no deserts in the east....there are no desert trucks or shops that I can go to for information.  Did you ever build a 4-link?  Got any closeup pics of the build?

Offline Jeffs91S10

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 08:01:13 PM »
Some good info to take into consideration.  Thanks guy!     I visit a local scrap yard pretty frequently.  I'm sure I can get a small block motor and trans for a few hundo.   But I like the idea of the turbo'd I-6.   It would be pretty cool.  Still pretty far away...so we'll see.  I want to do some suspension/gearing stuff first.

Nice fab work too!  Keep it up!

Hey...I'm dying to know everything there is to know about the trailing arm setup on the short course trucks.   Are they all 4-linked?   Panhard?  I have SO much to learn....and since there are no deserts in the east....there are no desert trucks or shops that I can go to for information.  Did you ever build a 4-link?  Got any closeup pics of the build?

I could if I had the duckets, I'm acquiring toolidge all the time but just I'm just po white trash right now brutha

Just kidding but it is very expensive to do and I am never gonna race this rig. Strictly a toy, think of it like a V8 sandbuggy but funner, like a truck. I plan to be one of the few dimes that can extreme dune, hit the big ones like regular buggies do. Hp worx wunders there  ;D 

Offline Jeffs91S10

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 08:19:37 AM »
Here is some lowers I fabbed up for my ride. I am uniballing the uppers and lowers to the C1500 Fabtech spindles. Since I cut off and am relocating all of the a-arm mounts, I have to figure out how to mount the swingset (steering box, idler arm) and the steering column so that it misses the exaust and the drivers side upper a-arm mounts. S-10 headers, even with the V6 in it, are very close to the steering column , so I am relocating all of it. I am trying to get the longest possible upper arm in there I can make. Here is pics of the passenger side so far.

Jeff