Author Topic: f150 suspension height  (Read 1698 times)

Offline thegraytist

• n00b
  • Popularity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
f150 suspension height
« on: October 30, 2009, 07:08:44 AM »
i'm new to prerunners and i have a question. if i buy deaver springs, what height do i get? i'm looking at the dixon front suspension for the 2wd f150 and it doesn't list how much it changes the height. it just lists the amount of travel. but in the photo it obviously is lifted more than stock (unless the bigger fenders and larger tires are causing it to look like it has some suspension lift.) i'm making my list of things to get and need some input. i don't want the truck to sit uneven. thanks for any help you can give me.
um... i think my truck fell down.

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Respected member of society
  • Popularity: +12/-0
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
Re: f150 suspension height
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 07:27:34 AM »
I don't know about the heights on those kits....but if you end up a little uneven, you can always get some blocks or coil spring spacers to even it out.
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Offline thegraytist

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 07:40:56 AM »
thanks. right after i posted it i thought to myself, wouldn't it have been easier to just called dixon racing and ask them? lol

but i do have another question. it says that it changes the width of the front suspension and makes it wider, 4inches or something. so what about the back. do most people use adapters to make the back wider or different wheel offsets in the back or just leave the front wider than the back? again.. new to prerunners.

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 07:44:41 AM »
I've seen some trucks with wider front ends.   You can get wheel spacers up to like 1.5 inches or something, and even get a wheel with a different backspacing like you mentioned.

Offline dezertrat

• Internet Tuff Guy
  • relentless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »
stay away from spacers! if you get deavers for the rear it should be real close to being even. save your money for a wider housing for the rear. currie, g machine racing, blitzkrieg motorsports, giant motorsports, ruffstuff specialties, camburg, dirt tech, threat motorsports, 9inch floater. all the web sites i can think of right now.you still need the guts for inside the housing. 9inch floater sells complete axles for around 800 bucks. whatever width you want. never used them befor but, seems like the best bang for your buck option.....
1992 f150. 5.0 v8
FRONT:solo motorsports 4.5 extended beams with dual rate saws.
REAR:deavers, and shackles. no shocks yet.
1-3/4 cage front to back, full glass, bucket seats

Offline thegraytist

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 03:26:44 PM »
i was also thinking spacers/adapters were a bad idea. i've seen them used around the minitruckin world to adjuist offsets of wheels or bolt up a differrent lug pattern and they always seem to be a weak point. i would imagine they wouldn't withstand much bouncing around in a prerunner.

so dezertrat. i see that you added some front suspension and it made the track wider in the front. true? so the front width is different than the back? is this a common thing or do most people switch out the whole rear axle for a equally sized width?

and another random question. did they make a 1997 to 2003 4door in 2wd other than the harley davidson edition? all i seem to find online are 4x4. i'd like 2wd 4dr but ill go with just extended cab if i have too.

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 06:01:50 PM »
Hey dezertrat.  Here's one for ya.     I might be able to get my hands on a Ford F-350 with a dually rear with 4.10 gears and a new posi in it.   Can I make that fit under my truck?   Would it be about the same width as the front after I'm all finished with it?

Offline dezertrat

• Internet Tuff Guy
  • relentless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 08:01:25 AM »
i was also thinking spacers/adapters were a bad idea. i've seen them used around the minitruckin world to adjuist offsets of wheels or bolt up a differrent lug pattern and they always seem to be a weak point. i would imagine they wouldn't withstand much bouncing around in a prerunner.

so dezertrat. i see that you added some front suspension and it made the track wider in the front. true? so the front width is different than the back? is this a common thing or do most people switch out the whole rear axle for a equally sized width?

and another random question. did they make a 1997 to 2003 4door in 2wd other than the harley davidson edition? all i seem to find online are 4x4. i'd like 2wd 4dr but ill go with just extended cab if i have too.

yes my front end is wider 4.5 inches per side. right now the rear width is stock and it does just fine for now. normally the rule is....you rear end width should be about 2 inches shorter than the front. ext...if your front is 92 inches wide, than your back should be 90. yes i think they make 97-03 crew cabs in 2wd.

Hey dezertrat.  Here's one for ya.     I might be able to get my hands on a Ford F-350 with a dually rear with 4.10 gears and a new posi in it.   Can I make that fit under my truck?   Would it be about the same width as the front after I'm all finished with it?

im not sur about dually axles. your best bet is to look for a 9 inch rearend in the junk yard or on the internet. how wide is your front end right now? outside of tire to outside of tire? then what is the rear. i wouldent worry about your guys rears. get the front going first.

lindenmooch.....i think i remember u saying u have a beamed f150? if so check into getting ur beams extended from a reputable fab shop, untill u can afford equal length beams. my are just extended now and they are strapped at 20" of travel. they handle great!im not sure where u live but there are tons of fab shops in so cal that will do it for not that much...

thegraytist....to be on a budget, you best bet besides full long travel front end is probably gonna be a cst kit. its still pricey but alot cheaper that a full custom kit. you can check them out at cst website.
1992 f150. 5.0 v8
FRONT:solo motorsports 4.5 extended beams with dual rate saws.
REAR:deavers, and shackles. no shocks yet.
1-3/4 cage front to back, full glass, bucket seats