Author Topic: minitrucker lookin to build prerunner  (Read 2108 times)

Offline thegraytist

• n00b
  • Popularity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
minitrucker lookin to build prerunner
« on: October 28, 2009, 02:25:50 PM »
hello to everyone. i'm completely new to prerunners, but have built a few other things. it all started with a tuner honda civic back in the 90's. back then they called them custom compacts because import tuner wasn't really a phrase yet. then i moved on to minitrucks and built a s10 and helped build a few other trucks with friends. i've had a great time riding low with the minis, but now i want to get some more ground clearance and a 4door fullsize for my growing family.

i can't tell you the $1000s i've wasted buying parts i ended up not needing or replacing for something else. so i need everyone's help to start off on the right foot. i have a million questions. but i'll start with these:

4wd or 2wd?
automatic or standard?
is an f150 basically the most common prerunner?
is a cage necessary to start with?
any texas clubs/groups/shops?

thanks for any answers. i'm not really looking for a debate about 2wd vs. 4wd. or auto vs. standard. these debates have been going on and will never end. i'm looking for what most people use, what will work best and be the simplest to build with the most avail parts. i've done unique before and ended up having to try and fab parts. so to start my prerunner build i want what is "the industry standard" if that makes any sense.
um... i think my truck fell down.

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • Popularity: +250/-0
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
Re: minitrucker lookin to build prerunner
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 04:01:57 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

4wd vs 2wd really depends on what you'll be using your truck for, most "prerunners" are 2wd although there are a ton of 4wd prerunners out there as well. It's pretty much your suspension travel goals, personal preference, and a matter of money.

Manual/standard is usually more fun and makes more power, more control of the vehicle, especially in the dirt this counts for a lot. Although there are a ton of automatics out there too, especially the bigger/faster trucks. Nothing wrong with a good automatic.

I'd probably say Ranger's are the most common prerunner chassis. Lots of aftermarket support and a ton of them out there.

Cage is necessary if you're trying to go big, can't drive, or generally want to be "safe" off-roading.

I'm not too familiar with the Texas scene but he have a few Texans on here, maybe they can chime in.

Let's see some of your past projects, we're all car guy's on here. So are planning on going with an F-150 to build? Have any plans yet? Or, still in the asking questions stage to figure out what works?
Danger Ranger: SOLD
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Crypto ICO: PADE   |   Other Forums: Z Forum | Web Design Forum

chaseHOSTING | chaseIDEAS | chaseDESIGN | chaseMOBILE

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Respected member of society
  • Popularity: +12/-0
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 04:14:19 PM »
Hey.  Welcome to the board.   I'm pretty new to prerunners too, but I recently bought a truck that fits my needs almost perfectly.

It's a 1995 Ford F-150.   Rear wheel drive.  NOT 4x4.  I don't want the extra weight and the hassle of dealing with the front diff and suspension.  The idea is to build it up so I can blaze along my local trails at breakneck speed.   And for that I'll need lots of wheel travel and very soft suspension.

My truck has the 300 cubic inch straight 6 cylinder engine.  It's a pretty beefy 4.9 liter with lots of torque.  So you don't really NEED to have a V8, but it helps.   My truck is also a 5 speed manual.  No rust at all anywhere, it's pretty sweet for a stock truck.

The reason I chose a Ford is because of their awesome twin I-beam or if it's 4 wheel drive, twin "traction beam" suspension.  They are noted for being able to achieve great amounts of wheel travel with only minimal tweaking and modifying.  And of course its leaf sprung in the rear.  I gotta run....but I have plenty more to say.  I'll have some pics of my truck soon.
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Offline thegraytist

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 07:27:35 AM »
i'm current truck... 2000 s10. bodydropped. 20's and 22's. custom back half frame. all custom build rear suspension. dash from an old mercury
(i think) hopefully i'll finish it some day.

Offline thegraytist

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 07:33:21 AM »
sorry i don't have any better pics. i'm currently in iraq (in the army) and all my photos are on a disc in the states. these i copy/pasted from my myspace page. it still needs a drivetrain/paint/suspension fine tuning. hopefully will be done by summer 2010.

but as far as a prerunner, i don't see much chevy stuff and even less s10 prerunners. i don't want to get into a situation where i can't find simple bolt-on suspension parts, etc. so i'm thinking ford.