Author Topic: Rear end  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Motocrossr32

• n00b
  • Popularity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Rear end
« on: August 12, 2008, 06:45:59 PM »
Question: I have an 01 s-10 and the rear end is stock when I was in some sand only one tire spun and I got stuck someone suggested posi traction what is it and is there alternatives to get both tires moving on my rear?

Offline Jon Jon

• Super Mega Rad Dude
  • DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Internet Tuff Guy
  • Popularity: +11/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jon Jon the Jonny Jon Jonster
Re: Rear end
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »
posi is your best bet.  the cheapest way is to weld your spider gears together, but then it handles like shit on the street and you'll go through rear tires often.
Right On

Offline bradmt

• n00b
  • Popularity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 06:16:04 PM »
posi is the only way to go.  it allows your vehicle to drive and feel mostly stock on the pavement while giving you damn near locker capabilities off road.  there is a million options in all price ranges but let a pro set it up for you unless your not scared jumping into a project with both feet. 

Offline Mr. Goodbody

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • l33t
  • Popularity: +4/-0
  • Tryin' To Catch Me Ridin' Dirty
    • View Profile
    • Goodbody Gear
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 08:01:54 PM »
i agree with jon jon the johny jon jonster

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • Popularity: +250/-0
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 12:05:51 AM »
Agreed, POSI for a street driven truck with some balls, locker only if you like worse handling on pavement and going through tires like mad (aka, dont!)
Danger Ranger: SOLD
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Crypto ICO: PADE   |   Other Forums: Z Forum | Web Design Forum

chaseHOSTING | chaseIDEAS | chaseDESIGN | chaseMOBILE

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Respected member of society
  • Popularity: +12/-0
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 12:46:49 AM »
just curious....exactly how often do you go through tires with a "Lincoln locker"?  aka welded spiders....

Like...compared to open diff or posi....

btw...I rarely have the money to spend on brand spanking new tires....and often buy used cracked up old ones at the junkyard, and run em till they pop.  =)   I'm awesome like that.  (BTW, Tracker's on NEW tires bought by me....)
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Offline Jon Jon

• Super Mega Rad Dude
  • DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Internet Tuff Guy
  • Popularity: +11/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jon Jon the Jonny Jon Jonster
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 05:48:25 PM »
just curious....exactly how often do you go through tires with a "Lincoln locker"?  aka welded spiders....

think of it like this...  every time you go around a corner, you're doing a burnout.  the tire life would depend on how (and how much) you drive, the terrain, and the compound of the tire.
Right On

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 12:01:29 AM »
thanks jon jon.  the burnout thing gives me a better idea, and helps me grasp the whole concept of having a permanent locked rear.  would it be a jerky ride on pavement when cornering?  or just make a bit of noise?

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 01:23:22 AM »
Yeah, it depends on your driving style as to how much it'll actually jerk, but usually it'll sort of chirp/skip/burnout the tire around the corner (make a kind of "ER-ER-ER-ER" chirping).
Current stable: 95 Toyota Tacoma :: 07 Lexus IS250 :: 02 Honda Civic :: 69 Chevy C20 :: 65 AC Cobra (Ron Butler replica)

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 01:26:11 AM »
I imagine that would be embarrassing in my tiny little 1.6 liter tracker.  In something with a proper pair of testes you could just leave every corner in a cloud of tire smoke so noone would see you anyway.  Oh well.   I would still consider trying it someday....as I've never experienced it for myself yet.  There's a first for everything...so they say.

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 01:32:40 AM »
Well, all the 240SX (drifter) guys do it!! (drive with welded lockers on the street). A lot of the hardcore prerunners and desert trucks do too.. It's just going to wear your tires down quicker and not handle as well on the pavement. Off the pavement, or when you're doing anything sliding around with no traction, it's going to be WAY better performance-wise. For the rich guys, they have electronic lockers for crawlers, a lot of Jeep guys run them from what I've seen (those that can afford it). It's the best of both worlds, flip the engage switch, and BAM, a full-blown locker when you need it.

Offline Lindenmooch

• DIRTEMPIRE STAFF
  • Spanner for hire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 01:41:39 AM »
Oh yeah I totally understand what you mean.  I know plenty about lockers....just not a ton about the difference in daily driving with a locked rear and without.   I went on a wheeling trip with a guy who owns a turbo'd tracker that's got a twin stick tranny and ARB lockers front AND rear.  It's intense.

Offline chase

• Administrator
  • l33t
  • I run this ish!
    • View Profile
    • PADE
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 02:06:16 AM »
Oh yeah I totally understand what you mean.  I know plenty about lockers....just not a ton about the difference in daily driving with a locked rear and without.   I went on a wheeling trip with a guy who owns a turbo'd tracker that's got a twin stick tranny and ARB lockers front AND rear.  It's intense.

Oh hellz yes, sounds like a damn good time!